Thursday, November 23, 2006

I Give Thanks

Since it is thanksgiving I have been giving some thought to what it is I am truly thankful for. So I will list off a few, in no particular order:

I. For Friends
I have been blessed with very good friends, from the ones back at home to the ones up at school. I will not list them because I would fear leaving one out. Just know for those of you who have stuck with me through thick and thing and for those of you that have prayed for me and been by my side. Just know that I am grateful for you and love you.
"Now when Job's three friends heard of all this adversity that had come upon him, they came each one from his own place, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite; and they made an appointment together to come to sympathize with him and comfort him." (Job 2:11)

II. For Family
For all of my family. But above all my mother who I do not give enough appreciation for all that she has done in my life. For her patience and her love towards me. I thank God for the blessing of a great mother.
"He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD." (Psalm 113:9)

III. For My Church
God has granted me a church to be a member of that has been one of the biggest blessing of my life. Each time I gather with them I learn something new or am challenged with something new. Their fellowship and care is beyond compare, and their love for the Lord is awesome.
"So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless." (Ephesians 5:26-27)

IV. For the Word of God
This book that I once neglected has become my bread that I hunger after. It has become my guidance and my hope, containing the words and actions of Christ, the commandments of God, and the promises of the things at present and the things to come.
"How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night." (Psalm 1:1-2)

V. For Forgiveness of Sin
I was dead in sins and wrathful by nature. Cared nothing for God even when I said I did, I did all contrary to His words and his commands. And yet...
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

VI. For the Saints Before Me
I thank God for the men and women who have counted their lives as nothing to bring the word of salvation and eternal life to others. For those that saw what they had attained and could not keep it for themselves but had to tell others of the great Christ. And for the saints now that continue to do the same.
"Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted." (2 Timothy 3:12)

VII. For Those Who Preach
I am more than thankful for the ones whom God called to spread His word. For those who diligently seek out the word of God and preach the true Gospel of Christ. For without them I would have never known Him.
"How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!" (Romans 10:15)

VIII. For God's Grace
For the grace that opened my heart to His word, and the grace that sustains me in the faith. It is only by His grace that I have been saved, not by anything I have accomplished but solely by His good pleasure.
"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9)

IX. For Christ Above All
Above all I thank God for His son. While I look at all these blessing it is important that we see where the blessings come from for by Him all things are possible and all things are made new. What a huge blessing to all who receive Him, He will bless those here on earth and bless them through eternity. I give my thanks for the great high priest and the great king of the heavens and the earth. Praise the Lord!

No comments: