A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw man argument" is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent. A straw man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it is in fact a misleading fallacy, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.iThe "the straw man" is an all too common thing these days, generally it is associated with any type of debate, but I am focusing upon "straw men" in the sense that it applies to Christianity.
This post is more of a warning to all discerning and caring Christians, who wish to understand the doctrine presented in the Word of God clearly and not be led into false beliefs that would affect their spiritual walk negatively.
The "Straw Man" In Practice
Generally the idea is to make your opponent look bad, to make their argument seem completely contradictory to the facts, as is seen in the description above. The practice is more commonly used on a website, or in an arena where the opposer cannot give a defense or rebuttal.
This is a dangerous practice amongst professing Christians, because they may take something that is true and completely biblical, and pervert it to suit their cause and opinion. Many are led into a false assumption of some belief, that may be entirely false, and without hearing the other sides defense they neglect the argument. It is ignorance on behalf of many Christians to never hear out the other side of the argument, and turn a cold shoulder to a belief they honestly know nothing about.
Examples
Take for instance the atheist. All Christians can relate to the issues they bring up I assume (unless you have never talked to one of course). If not, I'll show a couple of examples of what I am talking about.
Atheist: "How can an all-loving God send people to hell for eternity?"
"There is no proof of God and I can't see Him, so He doesn't exist."
"God is just a cosmic policeman, giving 10 strict rules that we must obey or go to hell."
Or here's a good example of a perfect "straw man" set up by one:
"The bible tells us that Satan only killed Job's sons and daughters, and God killed millions in the flood: Satan= 10 God= Millions; Who's really the evil one?"
I am sure you can think of many others. So for any Christian its easy to see, that on a facebook board or a site that is run by an atheist, the Christian is not given the opportunity to respond. So it appears the atheist just shot down every Christian argument, when in reality they just make themselves look even more foolish and ignorant.
But the atheist is not the only one who is guilty (I'm guilty, you're guilty, we all are, this is what sin does, it corrupts truth). But other examples can be found in discussion on eschatology (end-times), worship, salvation, covenant/dispensational theology, baptism, and just about every other doctrine. And of course the one I must mention, you guessed it, Calvinistic/Reformed theology.
If I can pick one thing I believe to be the most misrepresented topic in all of Christianity it is that of Calvinism. With a weak "straw man" it is entirely to easy to burn down the supposed "arguments". If the arguments presented are not correct its simple to make it look like the elect are the "elite", that God is a tyrannical and hateful God, that there is no room for missions and evangelism.
Warning!
Please, I implore you, do not listen to every word you are told by anyone you think you look up to. Hear out both sides, test the doctrines by scripture (1 John 4:1), and pray earnestly that God would reveal His truths to your heart.
And speaking of Calvinism, please hear out the arguments to the fullest, from someone who might actually be one, instead of a website written by an anti-Calvinist preacher. If you do not believe it to be scriptural in the end, then Godspeed.
Do this for all arguments, even the atheistic, heretical and false ones, do it for all of them, I promise the truths of scripture stand up to all of them. Give the opposition their opportunity to speak, and leave the straw for the cows (har har...).
No comments:
Post a Comment