Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Blessing of A Beautiful Day

I was reflecting as I took a little walk this evening, and I thought to myself: "It is a magnificent day today." Truly it was a wonderful blessing of God. It could not have gotten over 85 today, not a cloud for miles, and a gentle breeze. I couldn't help but think to myself: "I deserve none of this. I am a sinful creature, infinitely blessed by a sinless and holy creator. If God can create a day such as this, surely heaven will be infinitely more glorious."

From the rising of the sun to its going down, the LORD’s name is to be praised. -Psalm 113:3

But one thing bothered me as I thought about it. There would be many who would not even think to acknowledge God on such a day as they have been blessed with. "For God so loved the world..." Well God most certainly has a general love for all of man, just look at what He blesses us with: rain, snow, sun, food, clothes, family...Christ Jesus, etc. But man has been so blinded by his own sin, he has neglected to praise God the Author and Giver of all these things, and they entertain the vain idea that God is not angered by this. Even those claiming to be redeemed show more interest in their relationships, clothes shopping, and schoolwork than in the great and glorious works of God.

He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. -Matthew 5:45

That is a great love He has shown to all men. I stepped out of my house today to go for a walk, and left my cares of this world behind, focusing upon God and giving Him thanks for what He has given me. None of which I deserve, paralleling the gift of salvation, wrought by Christ and freely bestowed upon my soul because of nothing in me, but because of the great mercy of God. It is a grave sin we commit when we do not acknowledge God for His mercies, for His love and for His grace, I am guilty for it constantly, and repent I must.

Give unto the LORD, O you mighty ones,
Give unto the LORD glory and strength.
Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name;
Worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

-Psalm 29:1,2

Just take a moment to praise God for His many blessings, and remember how little of it you deserve. This is enough to humble any man or woman.

If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,O Lord, who could stand? -Psalm 130:3

No comments: