Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Part 1 - If God Isn't Sovereign

What suffers? Is it merely as trivial as people pretend it to be? Is God's sovereignty in salvation and in providence a thing to be swept under the proverbial rug? Can it be said that God's sovereignty is something higher than we can understand so we should just leave it to God?

Here is where I believe we have a major disconnect in the church. In God's sovereignty, in His election, in His calling, justification and in His providence. I think of it this way. When I go to the range to qualify with my rifle, I look at the target (300 meters away) through the rear and front sights. Say I was off by a centimeter to the left, from where I am that doesn't seem to be so far off, but 300 meters down range that could be 2 or 3 feet to the left.

It can be applied to the sovereignty of God in this way. People deem election or predestination not that big of a deal, if one person believes it and another doesn't its not that much of a difference how much could it possibly affect? I mean those are things higher than us anyway, they aren't for us to worry about.

But go down the range (in theory) and when you get to the target you're way off. You have churches which are more man-centered than God-centered, and worship that cares more about entertainment than worship, so on and so on.

The sovereignty of God is a complete world-view, it will sway your thinking and your approach to an all-holy all-sovereign God. I'll do a couple posts thinking about some of the things this effects, such as: worship, evangelism, Christian living and persecution, and perhaps other things as I think of them.

God Bless.

No comments: