There are a few things that this note is not arguing against nor am I completely against the holidays them self. This is not against the gathering together of families, I am not addressing that. Furthermore, this is not against the observance of the birth, death, or resurrection of Jesus Christ.
In actuality the purpose behind the note is to prove the the lack of care for Jesus' birth, death and resurrection, and the way in which "Christians" give little care to these matters all the other days of the year and how Churches go about their Easter Sunday "service." But that will become clear, and other matters of disagreement will come out.
I am going to go ahead and leave out the fact that both Christmas and Easter are holidays which the Roman Catholic Church have instituted and intermixed with Pagan traditions, because this really has little to do with the matter at hand, whether the Jehovah's Witnesses want it to or not.
Firstly
I am ardently against those who presume to make this day more important than any other day. One will notice quickly that Churches fill to about twice their normal attendance. Every nominal Christian without a care for Jesus in the least bit, suddenly flocks to the pews. As if this day were now more fixed upon by God than any other day, these "Christians" of apostate tendencies think themselves to be doing a better service to their own self and to God by showing an appreciation for at least one day out of the year.
Easter more than Christmas tends to have this traditional importance for some reason. I would reason from that evidence, that it would probably be a wiser thing for them if they didn't step in on God's solemn and reverent worship.
Let me qualify though, I'd fear that some would think I don't want unbelievers to come to church and hear the word of God preached. That is not my point, the point is that most of these people have heard the message and more than probably made a "decision" for Christ at one point, and have now deemed it unimportant to worship God every Sunday or to fellowship with the children of God.
The fact is, I have seen this all too many times, someone who says they are "saved" but lives like Jesus didn't exist or doesn't care, but thinks that going to church on Easter will make up for it (this happens more than on Easter, it may be a weekly thing as well, a nominal Christian feels they can live the way they wish, as long as they wipe the slate clean on Sunday).
Secondly
The way some Churches go about Easter Sunday. Say you do get a larger crowd that day (with the above point in mind) and then preach a sermon that is about 10 minutes long so you don't bore those who came, and then have a little Easter Special or a children's play or a whole bunch of solos and video clips to entertain the unbelieving crowd.
For example, I went to a friend's church on Christmas Eve this last year, had about a 20 minute sermon, with virtually no Gospel presentation. Then to top it off canceled that evening's service, so that we could "spend time with family and not worry about Church tonight." I'm not sure what I deem more important on such a day, spending time with family, or worshiping the Christ who saved our souls so we could even enjoy a family (sarcasm).
The day is, for some odd reason, set aside as more special than the rest. Sermons are cut shorter, sermons are watered down, church cancellation, etc. Why? Why not just continue exegetically going through the Bible as you should be, contemplating the birth, life, death, resurrection, intercession, every Sunday?
Thirdly
I'll address this quickly. The world has attempted to take these holidays which are supposedly centered around Christ and turned them into egg painting, wreath hanging holidays. What's worse is that Christians have given into it, we delude the children of America with fairy tales of bunny rabbits and fat men with flying reindeer, instead of presenting them with the Gospel from the very day they can comprehend it.
Lastly
A proposal. Say we didn't treat these days so much different, what if instead we got rid of them, how bad would it be? Would "American Christianity" crash and burn to the ground? So be it, if that is what is holding it up, if it's the fact that we get free presents and a day out of the year to pretend we are Christian. I wonder if true Christians in oppressive countries are worried about two days out of the year, or if they worship God how He is to be worshiped.
I firmly believe that Christmas and Easter are to be celebrated every single day I am alive. With any true faithful Christian, we should be praising God every hour of the day for the Birth, the Death, the Resurrection, the Justification, the Mercy, and the Grace that has been so freely and so wonderfully bestowed unto us, God's chosen people. What if we were more worried about that, or more excited about that, than the prospect of free gifts, money, and one day out of the year we get to wear our new Easter clothes.
And if you are going to set these days aside in Church for a special message or if you are going to celebrate it with family, then remember the Lord your God, who died and rose and took upon your sins so that you might be justified and imputed His righteousness, all of your days.
"I will bless the LORD at all times; his praise shall continually be in my mouth. My soul makes its boast in the LORD; let the humble hear and be glad. Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!" -Psalm 34:1-3-
"I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever." -Psalm 145:1-2-
Any Thoughts? There's gotta be some.
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment