Sunday, October 08, 2006

TULIP (Part 7) Finale

I figured now that I was done with all the parts of the TULIP, I would just end it in a final conclusive post.

I do know the rep that the Calvinism issue gets, most people immediately shut out anything you have to say if you bring up the word. So I like to call it... Christianity, or simply the Gospel. Calvinism merely expresses to a person who understands it, where your theology lies, a nickname is all it is really.

The TULIP series, is not to express or to convey how God can somehow be boxed into 5 little points. I do believe though that these 5 points do broadly outline what the Bible teaches of man's heart, God's election, God's sacrifice and grace as well as His strength and glory shown through His preserving the saints.

But God is by no means widdled down to 5 points or to a nickname given to those who believe truths presented in the Bible.

So reviewing quickly:

Man is completely and utterly depraved. He has no will or desire to turn towards God, though He does have a will it is not a free one, it is enslaved to its sinfulness. (John 8:34 Romans 6:17-18) So man's heart acts according to his nature, (Jeremiah 13:23) and he can not do any good. This does not mean that man is as evil as he could be and that they are all murderers or theives, but nothing he does, even if it seems good in his eyes is sin in God's. (Romans 14:23)

So God must then draws man effectually, meaning that His purpose will be complete. (Romans 8:28 Ephesians 1:5, 9, 11 . 2 Timothy 1:9) And because it goes out with a purpose, to call those who are elect (Romans 8:30), it is thus irresistable.

He calls those that are chosen, that he predestined before the foundation of the world, the elect. (Ephesians 1:4 Acts 13:48) Though God set out those that were to be saved before the foundation of the world, it does not save them. Sin could not go unpunished, because it is an eternal insult against and all holy all righteous God. And so the creator became the creature, and lied down His life for His sheep. (John 10) He became the codemned, a curse, so that the sheep would not be codemned. (Galatians 3:13)

And by this act those that believe in Christ as lord and savior, find salvation in the atoning blood of Jesus. And those that are the true sheep will persevere in the faith until the very end .(Hebrews 6:10-11)

The Final Conclusion


I would encourage anyone to look deeper into these things. They are very clearly revealed in the scripture. Many of these points are crucial to understanding and giving God the glory and worship that He deserves. To take some of these things and twist them around, would be to give yourself the glory for your salvation. But do read into these points.

I would like to thank all of those who did post on this stuff. I have been greatly encouraged by reading and meditating on these truths. And I just want to thank those who encouraged me as well by commenting on some of the things. Great to have those around me that help to sharpen me.

So I leave you with the words of Paul to the Philippians:

Philippians 1
8For God is my witness, how I long for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus.
9
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment,
10
so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the impression that people consider me to be "off my rocker" or out in deep left field when the issue comes up. "You're just making that stuff up!" seems to be the consensus. Spurgeon was also accused of proclaiming his Calvinist principles. He said that it wasn't Calvinism that he preached, but Christianity! The pure message of the gospel and the glorious story of redemption. People just don't see it! They don't want to see it! It's not for the intellectual or the theologically superior, these are basic truths that every Christian should and needs to know. Thanks for the posts, keep studying!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon!

It was great to meet you this weekend.

We'll be facebook friends soon... in like... a few days.

Figh the good fight.
-Shawn

Jonathan said...

Excellent series. I've enjoyed reading the posts. On each point something that I hadn't thought of much would usually come up, so it was helpful. It's a great message to Christians: "Be of Good Cheer, God is sovereingly set you in Christ!"