Calvinism...
Well I'm assuming that if anyone had actually begun reading this they most likely are not reading it anymore. Calvinism is a word that has been completely shunned in the cotemporary church today, even among baptist and reformed churches (who I would like to remind, that if you actually check out your confession of faith, you'd be suprised to learn some new things about the beliefs of your church). It's amazing how many people you talk to and as soon as that word is even brought into the picture they are scared of the heresy that may come out of your mouth.
So I have decided that I would like to do a little study on the beliefs of this theology that has been catagorized as Calvinistic. I will break down the 5 points of Calvinism and try to explain them with all the scripture I can possibly find. (I will probably break this down into about 6 parts) There is actually some things in this belief that I myself do not agree with to the fullest degree, and so for my own sake and maybe for anyone reading it, we might be able to understand what exactly Calvinism is all about and how scripturally correct it really is. Most importantly, as with all the things written on and studied about in the word of God, I pray that it might help to better understand the person of God and His glory.
Introduction to Calvinism
Who was John Calvin?
John Calvin (Jean Chauvin) was born in France on July 10, 1509. His father was an attorney and Calvin even studied law in Paris, and was a Doctor of Law at Orleans (Wikipedia).
Calvin preached in Strasbourg from 1538 til 1541, after being exiled from Geneva. In 41 he returned to Geneva where he lived out the rest of his life until his death in 1564.
John Calvin believed in sola scriptura (scripture alone) much like Martin Luther. Calvin's theology was not actually new or original, in fact most of his ideas and believes came from the early church fathers (i.e. St. Augustine) and Medieval schoolmen. Calvin believed in the absolute sovereignty and holiness of the triunal God, so he is largely accredited with the ideas of predestination and election (which may be the reason for the shunning of his name by many, but i will get into that topic another time.)
His writings included:
-Commentaries on much of the Bible.
-Institutes of the Christian Religion.
Where did the 5 Points of Calvinism come from?
The 5 points were not actually points picked out by Calvin himself. In fact the 5 points were a defense by Calvinistic believers against the accusations from the Arminian Remonstrants (Arminian was actually considered a heretic by the church). They therefore function only as a summary of the differences between Calvinism and Arminianism and are not a good summation of Calvin's writings (Wikipedia.org). In fact some of the ideas mentioned in the 5 points are not even outright discussed in any of Calvin's writings, only hinted at.
So what are the 5 Points?
The TULIP as it is known in the English-speaking world.
The TULIP will be how I will be breaking down the rest of this study in the following blogs.
But for now I'll just explain them briefly.
T. Total Depravity = The argument that man, in his naturally unregenerate state, does not have the ability to turn to God. Apart from God they are lost in their sin, and that it is only by the Grace of God that a man is reborn and saved, so regeneration comes before faith. Apart from the spirit there would be no faith, ever.
U. Unconditional Election = The idea that God knew from the beginning who would called to Himself. That it is unconditional, that there is no human merit or work that can earn a person the mercy of God.
L. Limited Atonement = Christ's death actually takes away the penalty of sins committed by those upon whom God has chosen to have mercy. His death, is limited to the elect for the taking away of sins. (As opposed to Christ's death making redemption merely a possibility that we can perform).
I. Irresistable Grace = The saving grace of God can not be resisted. The saving grace of God is applied to those whom he has determined to save (the elect) and, in God's timing, overcomes their resistance to obeying the call of the gospel, bringing them to a saving faith in Christ.
P. Perserverance of the Saints = Those whom God has called into communion with Himself through Christ, will continue in faith and will increase in faith and other gifts, until the end.
I hope to expound on each of these a little more, so you get a better understanding. But until the next blog I will leave you with a quotes I like:
'I have my own opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified unless we preach what is nowadays called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism. Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else.'
-C.H.Spurgeon-
The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox’s gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again. (and America)
-Spurgeon-
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like it Jon. There's always plenty more to say on the matter, but you're simply right in saying that Calvinism's bad light has gone on long enough. Another quote from Spurgeon is, "Why do people today think Calvinism is heresey and Arminianism orthadox? Because people no longer know how to think, nor desire to do so. They simply follow the lie like Eve did in the garden, and the plague continues to run in the church until it has done its due course. And when it'll stop, only God knows."
What?! John Calvin?! You heretic! I refuse to read what you have to say.
Haha. Just kidding. Incidentally, it's unfortunate but Calvin's commentaries don't cover the entire Bible, there are quite a few books that are missing. Some of the ones I've wanted to study as a matter of fact....
The person who was responsible for reviving the old Semi-Pelagian view was "Arminius." Jacob Arminius I believe.
Good post! I'm curious to see what you have to say on the points and what you don't fully agree with.
Good quote Jonathan ;)
Post a Comment