5 Points of Calvinism
TULIP
Moving onto the second letter of the TULIP, the "U" or "Unconditional Election"(predestination). The doctrine which teaches that God, in eternity, chose out of all mankind those whom He would save by means of Christ's death and the work of the Holy Spirit, for no other reason than His own wise, just, and gracious purpose. The believers believe because they are the elect.
Unconditional meaning that there is nothing that man did to earn their election, it is all placed in the sovereignty and grace of God. Man is dead in tresspasses and sin, totally depraved, and there is not human merit that can earn them the grace of God.
Here is one way it is outlined, by a Micheal Bremmer, to help me define it...
By unconditional election Calvinists mean:
(1) Out of fallen humanity God chose certain persons unto salvation. God elects people.
(2) The number of God's elect is fixed.
(3) God does not elect individuals based on foreseen merit of any kind (Unconditional), including faith. Election is an act of God's sovereign choice.
(4) God's election and calling are invincible.
(5) The purpose and motive of God's election are His glory, "To the praise of His glorious grace!"
I think that is a pretty good summary of it.
"If all of us are so depraved that we cannot come to God without being born again by the iressistable grace of God, and if this particular grace is purchased by Christ on the cross, then it is clear that the salvation of any of us is owing to God's election." (John Piper)
(I realize that that last quote touches on irresistable grace and limited atonement a bit, Piper did it in a little different order, but I am just trying to do it in order of the TULIP, if you are actually keeping up with these posts then you can piece it all together.)
Biblical Support
*As with all things that I say it is essential that biblical support be used. It is not important what a person thinks God should do, or that a person thinks "an all-loving God would never do that." It must be backed up with scripture or it is irrelevant.*
A hard concept to accept I know, believe me it was not an easy thing for me to accept. So where is it backed up in scripture?
Romans 8
28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
These verses are very important, and not verses touched on to often in the church today.
Okay well maybe you think that is taken out of context or perhaps that text doesnt apply to us (because there are those who would say that)...
Ephesians
4 Just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
I added verse 6 (and keep reading on for a few more verses) don't miss out on the grace of God. I will continue to repeat that, because I believe it is something important.
11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counself of His will,
12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory.
You'll notice that after every time something like this is mentioned it relates to the grace and the glory of God.
2 Thessalonians
13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.
2 Timothy
10 For thise reason I endure all things for the sake of those who are chosen, so that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus and with it eternal glory.
1 Peter
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen
2 According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood...
Okay now, maybe those don't apply to us either, or maybe thats not what Paul or Peter are talking about. Okay well let's see what the Gospels say, or better yet what Jesus says himself.
In John chapter 10, Jesus is giving the good shephard speech (keep in mind the "sheep" are the elect, read the whole chapter it is a very good one.) But there were those in the crowd who did not believe anything Jesus said,
John 10
25 Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me.
26 "But you do not believe because you are not of my sheep.
27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch tem out of My hand.
29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."
Notice verse 26 it is crucial that that is read correctly. It does not say "But you are not of my sheep because you don't believe." Read it carefully. They do not believe BECAUSE they are not of His sheep. This is done more than once though. Go to Acts 13. It is reporting how the Gentiles respond to the preaching of the gospel in Antioch of Pisidia.
Acts 13
48 When the Gentiles hear this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.
Same thing going on here. Again notice, it doesn't say that as many believed were chosen to be ordained to eternal life. The prior election of God is the reason some believed and some didn't.
The unconditionality of election is talked about by Paul in Romans 9:
11 for though the twins [Jacob and Esau] were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls,
12 it was said to her [Rebecca]. "The older will serve the younger."
"This seems unfair, why would God do that kind of thing?"
I know that if you were to tell an unbeliever this sort of thing, they would say something along those lines.
Continuing in Romans 9:
13 Just as it is written, "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated."
14 What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be!
15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
16 So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.
20 ...who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?
21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?
22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction
23 And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,
Proverbs 16
4 The Lord has made everything for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil,
Basically in a nutshell, we are God's creation, who are we and what right do we have in questioning God's purpose? God created all things, God can do what He wishes. He gives life he can take life.
Conclusion
Okay, now there is something important to state before I end this. Lest you become hyper-calvinist and believe that because you are the elect you can just sit around in your pride codemning everyone and not spreading the Gospel to others. True that those who are meant to be saved will be whether it is you who gets the word to them or not, but we are commanded by Jesus himself in the Great Commission to, "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20)
The idea of election is one that is mentioned in scripture, yes, but we do not know God's purpose. We do not know who is or isn't the elect. This does not stop the spreading of the word of God, it should not. It only helps to better understand the Glory of God, and how simple our minds are compared to His. Praise God and rejoice in knowing that He has chosen you to be His and nothing can seperate you from the love of God in Christ for ever and ever. (Romans 8:39)
Glory be to God!
***truly, if you have anything to add to this at all please let me know, i feel like there is something I may not have explained, or didn't elaborate on. thanks.***
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
> *As with all things that I say it is essential that biblical support be used. It is not important what a person thinks God should do, or that a person thinks "an all-loving God would never do that." It must be backed up with scripture or it is irrelevant.*
That's a good statement. Too often I hear people tell me "well I think that God would never do this because....." and then don't really back it up with anything except that they don't think it would be..... (fill in the blank).
It may be a hard thing to accept, but once you realize that this is indeed the doctrine the Bible teaches, how uplifting and how much more freedom it gives! All praise goes to God and you realize that this is indeed the only way that makes sense, it's the best way! And the best because God has ordained it to be so.
One thing I would add is that it helps to free me to speak more about the gospel. If you really believe that it is you who changes men's hearts by speaking to them, then you must believe that it is you who "turns" them off as well. What if you made a mistake, what if you said something the wrong way and it became offensive and that person was condemned forever because of you?! Well, thankfully, God has not put the salvation of men into the hands of men. If a person is one of God's elect, that person WILL come to Christ eventually. This doesn't excuse us for poor planning or rude behaviour, but it does help us to realize that the salvation of men doesn't rest with us, it rests with God.
Thank you for your clarity and insight. I too have wrestled with such notions and ideas. Like you stated, if you cannot back it up or at least clarify with Scripture, it doesn't work. I see too many people also landing on the thinking of "Why would God do this....or God doesn't act this way. God is GOD! HIs ways are truly higher than mine. Who am I, the creation, to tell Him, The creator, what he can and cannot do. Once again...thanks for your blog.
mb
I enjoyed it Jon! I'm very happy to see the warning of hyper-Calvinism as well, which natural man quickly concludes when he hears of such things.
I think it's so interesting how the Church fights this teaching of the Bible with much passion and anger. But Christians so desperatly need to have their hardened hearts broken down on these issues so they'll learn to praise God and not their will. And regardless of anything, as you simply said, the bible just simply teaches it. One would only impune the wisdom of God if he denies that God thought it important for a man to know these things. God does not make mistakes, and what he put in the Bible is for our joy. Thanks for the effort in writing this.
Post a Comment