Some would consider Christianity a crutch. Personally, that phrase doesn’t bother me, to me we all have a crutch but at least a Christian’s will be there for them, always.
Mat 6:20 ‘But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;’
Meekness is a fruit of the spirit
An attribute of Christianity is the one of meekness (humility or gentleness):
Mat 5:5 ‘Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.’
It’s important that a Christian is meek not only to God but to his fellow-man. The meek are not easily angered, nor do they envy the gifts and blessings of other men. The meek one puts all of his strength in God; they do not attempt to do things on their own, away from the presence of God. They abide in his strength, so while many may at first see meekness as a weakness, a Christian would tell you he is stronger and more courageous than anyone because he has the power of God behind him.
Phi 4:13 ‘I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.’
A meek Christian is one who follows Christ’s example, because even He said:
Mat 11:29 ‘Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.’
Meekness creates a comfort a rest and peace in God. The last verse touches on that as well as:
Psa 37:11 ‘But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.’
Once one puts all his worries aside and becomes meek in heart, he begins to do the things he does for God’s will and not his own. As Jesus prayed:
Luke 22:42 ‘Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.’
The Christian then lets God takes over and no longer concerns himself with the things that will pass away in life.
Towards his fellow-man he no longer is jealous of them, even when they have good things happen to them, and it seems that God favors them. The meek do not have mean thoughts of others, his meanest thoughts are of himself.
There is a lot more about this subject of meekness, and this may seem not very well structured, but this is what we will be talking about tonight in our bible study, so it is a few things that have been on my mind.
If you have anything else or have an objection let me know what you think.
Go with God.
Monday, June 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Another interesting example of meekness is Moses, who, through God was a very powerful instrument. Num 12:3
Thanks for the post, it was a nice study and touched on some very good points. Keep working!
The whole Bible is full of this idea: trusting in God instead of self. And isn't it amazing that we do have a God we can trust for all things?
Hope your Bible study goes well and I'll be praying for you this summer.
God's great paradoxical characters of meekness and majesty intrigue me! Yes let's go with God!
Hey Bro,
I hope things are going well with you. These are wonderful things to talk about. In our Lord's sermon on the mount, He is continually talking about entering the kingdom of heaven - or in other words, being saved. All the attributes, meekness, morning over sin, thirsting for righteousness, persecution, etc. are all experienced by the one who has been born again in Christ.
I'm very excited to hear about your Bible study. If the Lord wills, I will try to keep up with your blog. Internet access is a little strict here at camp. I will pray for you weekly (dare I say daily, I would almost dare but I would hate to lie). But surely often I will pray for you and your ministry.
Take care bro and see you at the end of summer Lordwilling.
We do have to be humble in all our ways. The more humble we become. The better off we are.
How is the study coming along now?
Post a Comment