–adjective
| 1. | urgent or persistent in solicitation, sometimes annoyingly so. |
| 2. | pertinacious, as solicitations or demands. |
| 3. | troublesome; annoying: importunate demands from the children for attention. |
I was given the book "The Valley of Vision" (Leather Bound) by my roommate, Logan (A very nice gift by the way). On the first page was written "May you learn to pray with importunity," and of course I had no idea what that meant. I must confess, I should have known, and perhaps all Christians should know, if not in dictionary terms then at least practically.
Instead of dictionary terms, may I set before you a story that I would commend to your reading (It is from the Bible. The Chapter XV of Matthew. Verses 21-28), and it goes like this:
Behold, a woman of Canaan came...to [Jesus], saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed.”
But He answered her not a word.
And His disciples came and urged Him, saying, “Send her away, for she cries out after us.”
But He answered and said, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, help me!”
But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”
Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.
What does importunity mean? This example gives a better definition than the dictionary. It is not an abstract definition but a feeling all can relate to. Yet how often do we neglect prayer as unprofitable and at times give it up as though there were no use in it? Unbelief gets the better of us.
I have at times felt my prayers unheard, unanswered, and rejected, so then the thought creeps into my head, "What's the use? Why bother? If it hasn't come yet, it never will."
O God, forgive me of those thoughts, and may this Canaanite woman come to mind whenever I feel like I might give in to those thoughts.
Importunity is a quality many lack, and it is one we must acquire. At first Jesus may seem to ignore, He may seem to reject, but be of good cheer, if you ask it in faith He will hear and He will answer. To ask and to give up after days of not being answered, is not asking in faith. The moment you doubt Jesus' willingness and ability, you have allowed sin to get the better of you. Never stop seeking...never stop knocking.
"My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD; In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up." -Psalm 5:3
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." -Psalm 7:7
"If you ask anything in My name, I will do it." -John 14:14
No comments:
Post a Comment