A passage I came upon, and wished to share some thoughts...for anyone who might care (I couldn't imagine why).
Proverbs 24:30-34 (nasb):
"I passed by the field of the sluggardI pictured a house. With a vineyard. And a stone wall. With a man inside the house.
And by the vineyard of the man lacking sense,
And behold, it was completely overgrown
with thistles;
Its surface was covered in nettles,
And its stone wall was broken down.
When I saw, I reflected upon it;
I looked, and received instruction.
'A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to rest,'
Then your poverty will come as a robber
And your want like an armed man."
Yet, I pictured the house as worn down, the vineyard dead, the stone wall broken down, and the man inside, sitting in his chair, doing nothing about it.
So there is two ways I think I could go about taking application from this.
Application 1
Make constant use of roundup (I kid).
But more seriously, to be diligent in all your work, as though doing it for the Lord (cf. Colossians 3:22). I am more than guilty of this sin, of negligence, of not only not praying, reading scripture, and meditating as I should, but also, in worldly matters, such as work, school, chores around the house, etc. Our purpose (chief end) in this life, as the Westminster Confession so eloquently puts it, is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. One of the ways in which we do this is by glorifying Him in all aspects of life. Not just church. Not just bible reading. But in all things from recreation to vocation to duty.
When we neglect our duty and our diligence in all matters, we end up like this man, then when our poverty and want comes we wonder why, often people are quick to blame God instead of looking to themselves. God forbid that we ever should.
Application 2
Spiritual application is how I see it.
The house = Our heart/ soul/ mind (compare Matt 7:24,26, 1 Cor 6:19, Matt 22:37).
The vineyard = Fruit of the Spirit/ the Word of God (compare Gal 5:22, Luke 8:11).
The thistles and nettles = Bad fruit/ cares of this world/ evil (compare Matt 7:16, Luke 8:7,14)
The stone wall = Faith (Psalm 18:2, Eph 6:16).
First, I pictured as this house should be. Or rather, as the heart and soul should be, but I'll explain it with the house, so just bear with me on the symbolism.
The house and the vineyard should be kept safe, because of the stone wall that is set up surrounding it all. The vineyard should be well kept, by the diligent man who tends to it and prunes away the thorns and thistles, and makes sure that the wall stays strong and is not eaten away by the weeds.
But in this case, as Solomon does, so we must: "When I saw, I reflected upon it; I looked, and received instruction." We see the sluggard, the man lacking sense, understanding and wisdom, who is inattentive, lacking diligence and care, and is completely allowing the weeds to destroy everything.
So then, we must take this man as an example, of what we must not do. We cannot sit back, we must daily be in our Bibles, daily in prayer, daily making supplication to the Lord for diligence, strength and the faith to continue on. Remembering that we do our work for the Lord, not for men. God has given us a new and beating heart, let us hedge away the temptations and the sins that so easily entangle us (Hebrews 12:1), and press on to holiness, in all diligence. Truly.
No comments:
Post a Comment