Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Romans IX (The Sincerity of Paul)

Verses 1-3

Its important to remember in these first 5 verses of Romans 9, Paul understood very well that he could have been sitting there amongst the Pharisees having someone else preaching this message to him, and him scoffing that person, if not for the mercy of God.

Paul shows great sorrow that this is happening to the nation of Israel, they are his kinsmen, as Paul is a Hebrew of the tribe of Benjamin (Philippians 3:5), it pains him much that these Jews are not accepting their promised Messiah. "The Jews, for whom [Jesus] was appointed according to the covenant of the law, not only rejected Him, but regarded Him with contempt, and for the most part hated Him"(Calvin).

"I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart"(v.1,2).

There are three things worth noting here in these first few verses, his forgiveness, his sincerity (v.1-2), his selfless-love for those who were unbelieving (v.3).

I. His Forgiveness


Paul was most likely one of the most hated of all the Apostle's by the Pharisees, as evidenced in the book of Acts. He absolutely crushed the legalism and self-righteousness of the Pharisees, and for this he was despised by them. If given oppurtunity they would have killed him as they did Jesus.

Yet, we see in these passages and the ones following that Paul treats them with respect and with a forgiving spirit. Though most of the Jews hearing the words spoken here would just assume that Paul was attempting to flatter them with kind words.

II. His Sincerity

To Prove that he is not attempting to flatter the Jews with kind words he calls upon the Triune God to witness to his sincerity of heart. "
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit" as Matthew Henry renders this as saying, "I speak it as a Christian, one of God's people, children that will not lie, as one that knows not how to give flattering titles." OR, "I appeal to Christ, who searches the heart, concerning it." He as well, appeals to his conscience, which bears witness, "it was concerning a sorrow in his heart to which none was a capable copetent witness but God and his own conscience.-- That 'I have great sorrow'"(Henry).

III. His Love

"For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh..."(v.3).

The Apostle says "I could" not "I do." The difference being, as if he were saying, "I could wish were it right and lawful"(Calvin). Paul understand as better than anyone that (1) you cannot be seperated from Christ, (2) he knew that his death could accomplish nothing of this sort. He "could" if it were right and possible, wish that he was accursed ("anathema" = codemned to hell) for their sake.

His selfless-love for his lost kinsmen is very clear here.
"Love is apt to be thus bold, and venturous, and self-denying. Because the glory of God's grace in the salvation of many is to be preferred before the welfare and happiness of [the self]...Paul, would be content to forego all his own happiness to purchase theirs. He would be content to be cut off from the land of the living, in the most shameful manner as anathema...they persecuted him as the most obnoxious person in the world, the curse and plague of his generation (1 Cor 4:12)..."Now...I am willing to bear all this, and a great deal more, for your good"...He would be content to be excommunicated from the society of the faithful...from the church...and from communion with saints, as a heathen and publican, if that would do them any good...He could wish himself no more remembered among the saints, his name blotted out of church-records...cut off...and have his name buried in oblivion or reproach, for the good of the Jews."
This has been seen throughout the history of the Church. The example of Moses is the same kind of sacrifice willing to be made. After the Israelites had made a golden calf, Moses went to God to try and make an atonement, and ask for God's forgiveness on their behalf and says this:
"Oh, these people have committed a great sin, and have made for themselves a god of gold! Yet now, if You will forgive their sin—but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written"(Exodus 32:31,32).

This kind of thought is not too common around too many "Christians" in this country. The health and wealth gospel wouldn't touch this kind of matter, and the feel good, just have "fun" churches/youth groups, wouldn't give self-denial and selfless-love a second thought.

Is your love willing to be so self-denying? Examine yourself on that matter, I know I will. Just a though take it or leave it.


1 comment:

Jonathan said...

"This kind of thought is not too common around too many "Christians" in this country. The health and wealth gospel wouldn't touch this kind of matter, and the feel good, just have "fun" churches/youth groups, wouldn't give self-denial and selfless-love a second thought."

How true. I enjoyed the post a lot. Like I said before, I don't think I can comprehend such a connection and love for a people that I myself would be accursed. That only shows I have a long ways to go. I never noticed that verse in Exodus 32:31-32.